- Tour starts at 8am from Arequipa and finishes at 5pm the next day back in Arequipa.
- 2 Day Colca Canyon Tour is EASY – no trekking involved, just some walking. Compare all Colca Canyon Tours & Treks and discover which tour or trek is the perfect option for you.
- During this Colca Canyon Tour, the night is spent in the town of Chivay at a basic hotel.
- Tours usually don’t include food so bring your own or expect to pay at restaurants.
- Colca Canyon Tours include Andean Condor Bird Viewing.
- Most companies pick you up and drop you off at your hotel or hostel.
Day by Day
Day 1: Arequipa City to Colca Canyon Valley
We pick you up from your hostel or hotel in Arequipa between 07:30am and 08:20am, and depart by bus on your excursion towards the Colca Valley. We will drive across Pampa Cañahuas in the Aguada Blanca National Reserve which is home to herds of vicuñas, llamas and alpacas, so you can stop to get that all important selfie with an Alpaca! We also stop at the Mirador de los Andes, the crater of Chucura, and the Mirador de Chivay to get some incredible photos on the way to our final destination, Chivay.
We arrive to Chivay at around 13:00pm where we will have some lunch and check in to your basic hotel for the night. You then have the option to visit the local hot springs if you want, or simply explore the small but picturesque town of Chivay. Later in the evening, you will meet for dinner with your guide and go to visit a local Peruvian folklore show, where you will be encouraged (and sometimes forced) to partake in the local dancing and singing! An early night is recommended, so try to avoid the local Irish bar!
Day 2: Colca Canyon Valley to Condor’s Cross to Arequipa
After an early breakfast (around 06:00am), we depart to the “Condor’s Cross” from where we will hopefully see the world famous Andean Condor birds fly majestically above us as they rise up from the Canyon. We will take you to different viewpoints of the Canyon to allow you to explore and appreciate the sheer size of this incredible canyon (the second deepest in the world!). On the way back to Chivay, we stop at the town of Yanque, visit its beautiful church and its characteristic stone streets among other attractions. To have spectacular views of the Colca Valley, we will drive to the observation points of Choquetipo and Artahuilque where you can see pre-Inca tombs and mock ups of the terraces, so make sure you save plenty of space in your memory card for these amazing places.
After lunch at a local restaurant we return to the city of Arequipa, arriving at approx. 17:30pm where we will drop you off at your hotel or hostel.
Price: US $ per person
Impotant: Along the way, you will reach altitudes of over 4000 meters, so some people can suffer altitude sickness (“Soroqchi”). Spend at least 1 day in Arequipa before taking part in the tour to acclimatize to the altitude, although this is not necessary if coming from Cusco or Puno
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE TOUR:
Professional tour guide who is fluent in English and spanish
Pick-up from your hotel
1 night accommodation in Chivay (basic shared hostel)
Breakfast in Chivay
NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR:
The government enforced tourist entrance tax for the Colca:
- Foreigners 13 years of age and above: 70 soles (approx. USD $25)
- South American 13 years of age and above: 40 soles (approx. USD $15)
- National 13years of age and above: 20 soles (approx. USD $8)
- Children (All Nationalities) under 13years of age: 5 soles (approx. USD $2)
Note: Not included on any tours, as it is illegal to include it
- Lunch and dinner (cultural song and dance show is part of dinner; cost is approx. 30 soles)
- Optional entrance to the hot springs and thermal baths – 15 soles (approx. USD $5)
What to bring
- Bring a small bag only: Large luggage can be stored at your accommodation provider in Arequipa
- Water bottle
- Original passport
- Local money
- Warm jacke