Waqra Pukara, a massive, horn-shaped Inca site standing above the Apurimac Canyon, located three hours south of Cusco. Discover its enigmatic ruins for yourself on this unique day hike, which will take you far out of the city and off the beaten path! Please be aware this trek may not be suitable for travelers with vertigo.
Day by Day
In the morning, we will pick you up from your accommodation at approximately 4:00 – 4:30 am. If your hotel or hostel is not located in the city center, we will pick you up from the doorway of our office building. We will begin the two and a half hour drive towards Marcaconga village, then continue into the district of Pitumarca, where we will eat breakfast.
After breakfast, we will return to the car for thirty more minutes of driving along a zig-zagging, unpaved road, until we reach Punta Carretera. Here, we will have ten minutes to stretch, organize our things, and make any final preparations for our trek. We will walk across gently rolling terrain for about two hours, observing gorgeous landscapes studded with small glacial lakes along the way.
Once we arrive at the Waqra Pukara Overlook, we will pause briefly to take our first photos of this incredible fortress perched on the edge of a canyon. We will then descend for about forty minutes along a steep, cliffside path into the site itself, while the Apurimac River runs swiftly below.
We will explore the ruins for approximately an hour and a half, climbing through the remains of the temple, taking photos against the incredible canyon scenery, and resting on clifftops in the shadows of the stone walls. When the group is ready, we will begin the ascent back the way we came. We will reach the car after about three hours of trekking, and return to Cusco at approximately 7:00 pm.
Price: US $ per person
Entrance Tickets: All of the sites visited on this tour require the Tourist Ticket. You can purchase this ticket at your first stop for 70 soles for a one day pass, or 130 soles for the 10 day pass..
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE TOUR:
- Pick-up from your accommodation and drop-off near the main square
- Round trip transportation between Cusco and Waqra Pukara
- English/Spanish-speaking professional guide
- Breakfast and lunch box (vegetarian option available)
- Entrance fee to Wakra Pukara
- First aid equipment
NOT INCLUDED IN THE TOUR:
- Tips for your tour guide and driver
What to Bring
- Hiking boots
- Small daypack or backpack (approximately 20L)
- Comfortable, lightweight trekking clothes or activewear (layers recommended)
- Waterproof, sturdy hiking boots with good ankle support and traction
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Warm coat
- Hat and gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- Sun hat or cap
- Water (at least 1L)
- Personal medications
- Muscle relaxers
- Painkillers or anti inflammatories
- Bandaids (especially those designed for blisters)
- Toilet paper
- Cash (in small denominations of Peruvian nuevo soles)